The dictionary describes purpose as “to set an intention, aim or goal for yourself.” So your life’s purpose is exactly that, your reason for being and the impact you want to have on the world.
A purpose can be something ‘big’ that may impact on the whole world or it maybe more personal, affecting mainly you and your family. You may also have more than one purpose, so don’t get hung up on finding the one. Whatever you decide it is, there is no right answer and all life purpose are equal.
There are several different ways of determining the meaning of your life and I have described a few below. You can try the one that appeals to you most, or have a go at all of them.
- At the top of a blank piece of paper right down “My Life Purpose Is….”
- Below this write down any words or phrases that pop into your head, however crazy they sound
- Continue doing this for about 20 or 30 mins until you write down a phrase or word that gives you a strong emotional reaction – this is your Life Purpose
The reason for continuing to keep writing is that at first all the ideas will come from your memory of experiences and things you think you ‘should’ have. Eventually this clutter clears and you’re left with clarity. Give it a go and see!
Ask yourself the following questions as a prompt to help you think:
- What are my uniques talents?
- Who do I admire?
- What childhood interest did I have that I might now have stopped?
- What activities do you lose track of time doing?
- In which aspect of your life do you currently add the most value?
- If I was guaranteed to succeed I would……?
- Sit comfortably and close your eyes then visualise yourself at your 90th birthday party. There are lots of guests there from your present and past (even some who have already passed away)
- Imagine sitting and watching them enjoy your party
- Then some of them come up and give you a hug and thank you for what you’ve done for them or meant to them in their life
- What do they say to you? Write down what you hear
- Use these words to give you ideas of what your purpose is in life
Try one of these quizzes:
I hope you have some great insights into your purpose or mission or meaning in life.
Please share this on social media if you found it helpful.
Don’t forget to sign up for my Top 10 Confidence tips and other great freebies.
How To Find Your Life’s Purpose